Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Romans 12:10

Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Rom. 12:10 NIV

NLT - Love each other with genuine affection and take delight in honoring each other
HCSB - Show family affection to one another with brotherly love. Outdo one another in showing honor.
MSG - Be good friend who love deeply; practice playing second fiddle.
NASB - Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor.
AMP - Love  one another with brotherly affection, as members of 1 family, giving preference and showing honor to one another.
KJV - Be kindly affectioned one to another with brother love; in honor preferring one another.

Kindly Affection is a reference to caring for relatives, family

The Greek words translated here as one to another convey a sense of unity, mutual, each other, of one mind

Honor is value, esteem, dignify

The one another in this verse is the Church.  This is how we are to treat other Believers.... not just nice or kindly, but as family.. putting their needs above our own.  There is a strong sense of unity in this verse.

Hebrews 13:1 tells us to Keep on loving each other as brothers (and sisters)

1 Peter 1:22 Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply from the heart.

Phil. 2:3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

Lord -- There are many brothers and sister in Christ I love.. like family.. but I confess I do not tend to honor others over me... to give preference to others.. to consider them better than me.  This requires humility and I lean more toward pride.  Teach me, Lord.  Pour me our and fill me with Your Spirit.. grow my love for You so that is overflows onto others.  Amen.

No comments: