Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Romans 12:2

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, 
but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. 
Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is -- 
His good, perfect and pleasing will."  Romans 12:2 NIV84

NIV84: Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world

ESV Do not be conformed to this world

NLT Do not copy the behavior and customs of this world

MSG Don't become so well adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking

PH  Don't let the world around you squeeze you into its own mould

HCSB Do not be conformed to this age

NASB And do not be conformed to this world

AMP Do not be conformed to this world (this age), fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs

conform = conform to, fashion self according to

No matter what translation I choose, the bottom line is I am not to be like the World and it is MY choice to do so or not.  I fashion myself.. I choose the pattern I will follow.. the pattern I will copy.  Will it be the world's pattern or God's? God's = Jesus

I need only live to conform to the world.. it gladly displays its pattern in brilliant color full screen 24 /7 in your face. It is the easy way. It really requires nothing of me.  I will fit right in.. blend.

BUT God's pattern is a bit different. I have to put forth some effort.  I have to surrender me to Him.. be in the Word to see the pattern and then walk it out in this foreign place where I won't blend in but instead will stick out. It won't be comfortable but it will be beneficial to me and those who see me.  And this pattern, unlike the pattern of the World, is eternal!


No comments: