Thursday, June 5, 2014

Masterpiece!

For we are God's Masterpiece. He has created us new in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things He planned for us long ago.  Eph 2:10

Did you know that you are God's Masterpiece? You are!  He created you... on purpose. No accident.. no mistake.. He created you with a plan for your life.  How awesome and overwhelming that thought is to me.

As I sat down to dig into this verse earlier in the week, the word MASTERPIECE just really held my attention. I started thinking of things the world considers to be Masterpieces... painting, sculptures, works of literature, embroidery, quilts... these wonderful things that are lovingly created by hand.  Usually the creator plans what he or she wants to create.. pulls together needed supplies.. determines steps.. the creator will work a bit.. step back.. make changes.. and continue on until everything is just right.

That is how God is with us.  He planned us.. knit us together in our Mother's womb (see Ps 139).  You may have been told "You were not planned!".. "You were an accident!".. "We did not expect to have another baby!" .. and those things may be true from your earthly parent's viewpoint, but not your creator's.  Elohim.. our Creator God.. planned when and where you would exist (Acts 17:26). You were no surprise to Him.. nor a mistake or unplanned.

And Eph. 2:10 tells us that not only were we planned, but we were planned with a purpose. God has things for us to do.. good things.

I am a quilter. My favorite quilts to make are for babies. I always make the quilt large enough to use into childhood. I envision it covering a wee babe to keep him warm.. spread out on the floor and covered with toys being used a play mat... being dragged around as a special "blankie" by a toddler. I am great saddened when a mom says "That is too pretty to use. I am going to drape it over the chair in the nursery."  I want to scream "NO!  I worked hard on that.. I planned to out.. and made it nice and durable so it could be used."  And then thing is even if the quilt gets worn spots and stains, that's ok!  It's purpose is to be used and loved.

I think God must feel that way about us too. He did not create us to sit and look pretty.. to soak in His Word and be pretty Christians sitting in church full of piety.  No He created us to be used.. to love others.. to teach, share, serve.. to Go and Do whatever it is He has called us to do. And along the way we will get bumps and bruises.. we will be stained by struggle and strife.. and guess what, out earthly body will wear out... and that is OK!  'Cause the Masterpiece we see right now is perishable, but the true Masterpiece we are is in Heaven.. seated with Jesus.. and one day soon we will shed the perishable for the imperishable and see our Creator face to face. (1 Cor. 15) Until then.. get to work! :-)

10 comments:

Valerie R said...

I think that's wonderful. Planned for purpose and made nice and durable. Some things in my life I thought the opposite, that this area or that area is too ugly or too hard for God to use. Yet there are no accidents and I choose to believe that the words of God are true and that He will perfect the things that concern me, and that I'm fearfully and wonderfully made-I am a work of art!!

Anonymous said...

Love this :) I used to make quilts for babies as gifts and to be used :) Awesome connection to God's word. Love it!!!
OBS Proverbs 31 Ministry Volunteer, Gail Swinson

JustMe said...

What a beautifully written picture you have created for others to read and maybe understand that God does have a good purpose for them. One that can't always be seen because of those "stains" our eyes see. I love your story about your quilts - what treasures!
Blessings,
B. Prince (OBS Volunteer)

Anonymous said...

This was wonderful!!!! I LOVE what you said about the quilts and how you want them to be used!! It reminded me of how we sit in a chair and say "we aren't good enough to be used for God" and He's saying YES YOU ARE!!!! I made you to be used!! I enjoyed reading!!!

Unknown said...

Oh wow this is so beautiful. I have been told I was not planned and everything was done to prevent me from being born. Wow, God planned me for something great :) that makes my heart melt. Thank you so much for sharing this with me today.....I really needed to hear this.

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing. I really enjoyed it. I love the idea of more beautiful than a piece of art. and I bet your quilts are beautiful. I am following you also. Have a blessed day!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. It is hard to think we are more beautiful than any piece of art. God did mold us. And He did know us. I bet your quilts are beautiful. And I am following your blog now! Have a great evening.

kimbaj said...

I love the way you compared the quilt to us! What good are the gifts God gave us if we "save" them till later?
On another note, I have been saving my daughters' favorite t-shirts to make into a quilt someday. I wish I had your talent and could do it myself!

Unknown said...

Barb beautiful blog. I love how you brought in quilting. Wish I could do them, but haven't mastered that. We have one that my husband's grandmother made for our son. I drug it back out - 30 years old for our grandson. Love it. And I agree I always say no child is unplanned. Thanks for sharing. Debbie W. (Proverbs 31 Ministry OBS Team)

elizabeth said...

Thanks! I loved this! I too quilt and want them used.