Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Psalm 121.....

I have heard the word cancer so many times in my 45 years.... my mother has been inflicted with 3 separate cancers in my lifetime... my father died as a result of cancer.... my father-in-law, great-aunt, uncle, grandfather all had cancer... my husband and I have lost friends to this dreaded disease... and we have watched children do battle with it.... so it would seem that I would be numb to the reality of cancer and yet the mention of the word still brings tears to my eyes and an ache to my heart. Today I heard it again... a dear sister-in-Christ has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer... and my heart breaks for her husband and her children. How will they get through all that is to come? The surgery... chemo... radiation... tests... tiredness.... nausea... fear....anger... hurt... and then I remembered something.

I woke up with a song playing in my head this morning (I do that fairly often). It is "My Help" by the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir... a wonderful rendition of Psalm 121. And in the words of that wonderful Psalm was my answer. This family will make it because they know where their help lies. No matter the outcome, they are embarking on a long and difficult... tiring... draining... journey. And yes, God in His infinite wisdom may choose to do the impossible (for nothing is impossible for Him!) and bring a complete earthly healing for our friend. But again... no matter what the outcome... He is their strength... their rock.... their foundation... their help. Just as He is ours every day.

So I am going to be praying Psalm 121 for Christi and her family. I would love others to pray also for this precious family.

Ps. 121

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth.
He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.
Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.
The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand.
The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.
The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.
The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.

You can hear the BTC sing this wonderful Psalm here:

No comments: