Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What a Promise!

"He (God) saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of His mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by His grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life." Titus 3:5-7 NIV



I have read through the book of Titus numerous times..... done studies on it.... so I know I have read this passage, but these verses jumped out at me in my quiet time recently... as if God had just spoken them for the first time... I could hear the echo of His voice.

What powerful awesome words! The reality found in this short passage is overwhelming if you really stop and think about it.

God... the creator of ALL... chose to save us not because we are worth saving... not because we do good things... but because He is a merciful God. This is one of the reasons I believe once saved always saved. Falling from grace hinges on my actions but the Word makes it clear that my actions have nothing to do with salvation... other than the act of confessing and believing in Jesus Christ.

And then He went a step further and gave us the Holy Spirit... not just a drop... He poured out the Spirit on us generously.... How awesome is that!

And all of this so we might become joint heirs with Jesus and have eternal life through Him!

No comments: