Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Psalms 7, 8, 9 & 10

Today I read Psalms 7 - 10

Ps. 7:1-2 says "O Lord my God, I take refuge in You; save and deliver me from all who pursue me, or they will tear me like a lion and rip me to pieces with no one to rescue me."

The lion mentioned in those verses is also found in the New Testament.. 1 Peter 5:8 says "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."

Our enemy has been causing trouble from the beginning! He pursues us.. actively seeks us.. with the intent to destroy us! If you are saved, he can't really do that... destroy you... because you are sealed with the Holy Spirit and you will go to Heaven when you leave this earth, but he can destroy parts of you... your witness... your marriage... friendships... relationships.. finances... career... etc. He will rip your life to pieces. We must be diligent in our watch for him and keep ourselves safe.

Psalm 8 is a favorite of mine. Bill and I sang a song in choir years ago (pre-kids) based on this Psalm, so whenever I read it "The Majesty and Glory" starts playing in my head. This Psalm is an amazing picture of the awesomeness of God the creator!

Verse 2 hit me today... "From the lips of children and infants You have ordained praise because of Your enemies to silence the foe and the avenger." Even though this verse talks of children and infants praising, I believe it includes us -- 1) because Jesus tells us we must come to Him like a child and 2) I think it shows a lifelong habit started in childhood of praising God.

I love that Praising Him SILENCES our foe.. our enemy... reminds me of a line from the Newsboy's song "He Reigns".... it's about all God's children praising Him and singing He Reigns... I love it all, but this is my favorite part... "And all the powers of darkness Tremble at what they've just heard , 'Cause all the powers of darkness Can't drown out a single word." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMT_kAD6cOg)

Psalm 9 is another Psalm that brings a song to mind. Cece Winans has a song based on verses 1 & 2 and I sing it often, especially in times of personal worship. Ps 9:1-2 "I will praise You, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all Your wonder. I will be glad and rejoice in Your name, O Most High."

I have often felt like the Psalmist in Verse 1 of Ps 10... "Why, O Lord, do You stand far off? Why do You hide Yourself in times of trouble?"

Of course God isn't far off nor does He hide Himself... it just feels that way at times, but we are assured in throughout the Word that He NEVER leaves us -- Ps. 9:10 "Whose who know Your name will trust in You, for You, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek You." ... Ps. 9:9b the Lord is... "a stronghold in times of trouble" ... Rom. 8:38-39 assures us that nothing can separate us from the Love of God... Joshua 1:5 "...I will never leave you nor forsake you." ... Heb. 13:5 "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."

Ps 10 then describes the wicked man -- his arrogance, boasting, pride - he sounds a great deal like many folks today. Think of people in the public eye... celebrities.. athletes...politicians... then bring it down a notch to folks you know.. and then look in the mirror. We must be very careful not to think we are safe from falling into the traps of this world. The enemies schemes fit our flesh perfectly and the world fuels the flames. We live in a world that feeds our arrogance... selfishness.. pride... our desire for more... we are not immune to this disease. We must fight it daily by staying in the Word and surrendered to the Lord.

And lastly... I love how Ps 10 ends... there is a confidence there... an assurance after beginning with doubt and concern.... v. 17 & 18 "You hear, O LORD, the desire of the afflicted; You encourage them, You listen to their cry, defending the fatherless and the oppressed, in order than man, who is of the earth, may terrify no more."

No comments: