Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Our Constant in a Changing World

I work with an afterschool ministry program at my church for K - 6th grade. I work with the older kids (4th-6th), an age group I have never worked with before and one I am enjoying much more than I thought I would. How I got into this is a long story, but needless to say it was all God.

So each week I share a bit of Bible study with the kids and also play a game with them. They love hangman.... so we do Bible verse hangman. It is a great way to get them in the Word and get the Word in them. I am amazed at how much they remember from such a simple game.

I was looking for some verses last week and I stumbled across Hebrews 13:8 "Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever." What a simple straight forward truth! And how powerful and empowering it is for us.

That verse has stuck with me all week and as I was meditating on it recently, God brought to mind Malachi 3:6... "I the Lord do not change." I love finding Scriptures that reinforce each other and I especially love finding those types of Scriptures in both the Old and New Testament. The fact that God and Jesus do not change ... have never changed... will never change is not something new that occurred after Jesus came to earth in the form of a man, but it is an eternal truth that always has been and always will be.

Isn't it amazing to realize that the God we serve.. the God we love... the God who loves us.. the God in whom we trust.. never changes. He is the same as He was yesterday... as He is today... as He will be tomorrow. He will not be stronger one day and weaker the next... He isn't moody or wishy-washy... He loves us continually... cares for us... provides for us... pours out His mercy and grace on us... and so much more each and every day.

Times change.. no doubt the world we live in is different in many ways from the world our grandparents and great-grandparents inhabitted and it is different from the one our grandchildren and great-grandchildren will live in should the Lord tarry that long. Our world is in a constant state of change, but the One who created it... the One sovereign over all.. He is the same... yesterday... today... and fever!

No comments: