Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Obedience... yet again...

I pick a word of the year each year and have yet to decide on one for 2011. I am beginning to wonder if Obedience will be it. Oh my!  Definitely need to pray about that!


On to what I wanted to share.... I read a devotional the other day by Robert J. Morgan (wrote The Red Sea Rules).  He was talking about Noah and he said "So in an age in which people knew nothing of rain, God told Noah to build an enormous ship, and Noah obeyed completely, down to the last nail."  


I am always wowed by Noah's obedience.. his immediate and unquestioning obedience... I like to question God a lot!

Morgan then offered this.... which truly does give me (and maybe you) cause to stop and ponder....

"To measure your faith, pull out the dipstick of obedience.  Does God tell us to build up others with our words? To be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another? To do the work of an evangelist? To avoid sexual immorality? To keep our eyes from vanity? To meditate on Scripture?"

Ouch... my toes hurt!  We talk of taking God at His Word.. and we should.. we can walk confidently in every single promise we find in the Bible BUT we also need to take Him at His Word when it comes to His commands and do what He says.

No comments: