Friday, March 9, 2012

Cease Striving.. Be Still

"Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations."  Ps. 46:10

This is a verse most folks who attend church have heard ... are familiar with... I learned it from the NIV.  Recently in my Bible study, I heard it in the NASB and it was like a whole knew verse to me...

"Cease striving and know that I am God."  

Cease Striving... seems so much more than Be Still to me. When I am not still, it could be due to busyness.. the normal ebb and flow of the day... and, for me, does not indicate much about my state of mind or emotions. I could be rushing here and there frazzled.. or just going about my daily routine.

Cease Striving, however, sets a different tone for me. If I am striving, I am determined to do something or to make something happen no matter what!

When I hear Be Still I think of resting in Him.. just stopping what I am doing and resting in Him. But with Cease Striving I picture a fussy child... probably a toddler.. Mom or Dad has picked her up and that child is thrashing about and squirming... striving to get loose from that parent's grip... so the parent holds tighter and often says something like "Be still... settle down..."

That child is wanting her way... she may be scared of what is to come next (shot at the doctor, discipline etc...) or she just doesn't want what comes next (nap, bath, bed time etc...) or maybe she is upset over something (didn't get her way, got hurt playing or is mad etc...) and Mom or Dad is trying to make it better but the child is fighting against them.

I wonder... am I like that with God? Are you? Do I buck and balk and strive to get my own way.. fighting against Him when I know I have sinned and discipline is at hand? Or I know He is calling me to obey and I don't really want to. Or maybe I am hurt, frustrated, angry, scared etc. and I'm having a bit of a fit.. a pity party.. and don't want to give that up just yet.

Any of those and much more can cause me to strive .. to not be still... and in the process I miss out on what God is doing and on getting to know Him deeper and in a new way.

Lord, Teach me to be still.. to cease striving.. to stop and let You be who You are... to see what You are doing in my life and around me... to acknowledge that You are God and I am not!  May I exalt You among the nations.

Are you running about today.. striving to get things done.. providing God with a moving target? STOP... Cease... Be Still... and rest in Him.

No comments: