Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Judges ...

Reading in Judges recently... in Judges 1 we see that the Israelites disobey God as soon as they get the Promised Land. (Maybe that is why He keeps us in the wilderness so long!)  He told them to drive out all the people and yet they don't. They keep some of the Canaanites and it says they were forced to do hard labor for the Israelites.. so Israel has forgotten their heritage of slavery in Egypt and become slave masters to the Canaanites. 


I am thinking at this point Israel thought.. we're safe.. we have them under our thumbs.. we are God's people.. He won't deliver them like He delivered us.. but they have a lot more to fear than loosing the Help!


Judges 2:3 God says to them... ".. you have disobeyed me... now therefore I tell you that I will not drive them out before you. They will be thorns in your sides and their gods will be a snare to you."


Doesn't take long at all for the thorns to catch and the Israelites to be trapped in that snare..


v. 11 says they followed Baal.


Back up to verse 10 which says "All that generation also were gathered to their fathers; and there arose another generation after them who did not know the LORD, nor yet the work which He had done for Israel."


Throughout Deuteronomy God has spoken to the Israelites through Moses and said over and over and over.. REMEMBER.. REMEMBER.. and what does He want them to Remember? The things He has done.. where they came from.. and He wants them to tell these things to their children and their children's children and teach them His laws.  


It is obvious they did none of this... and this is the fruit their disobedience has borne.. the legacy they have left... a generation who does not know the Lord and who follow Baal!


Consequences... all our actions have consequences which often involve a future generation.  


Oh Lord, May I hear You... listen to You... Heed You... obey.. FULLY.  I want no thorns in my side or snares in my path.. nor do I want to plant them or set them for my children or their children... may I follow You wholeheartedly and leave a legacy of faith, honor and obedience to those who come behind.



No comments: