Friday, March 16, 2012

Promises

Lately God has pointed out 2 verses about His Promises to me.. the first was a couple of weeks ago. I was preparing for the Bible study I lead on Sunday night and 2 Peter 1:3 came to mind.. I wanted to make sure I wrote it down right, so I looked it up... it is one of my favorite people's favorite verses :-)


"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness."


And then I read on to verse 4...


"Through these He has given us His very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires."


His very great and precious promises!  I just love that.  NASB calls them magnificent and great... Amplified says precious and exceedingly great... 


I have pondered that verse and the wonder of it... that God would give us.. freely.. His exceedingly great, magnificent, precious promises... so that we might participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption found in the world!  


And then I read Joshua 21:45 in my Daily Bible reading a week later..


"Not one of all the LORD’s good promises to the house of Israel failed; every one was fulfilled."



And we know this is true.. just read all He promised in the Torah and then read what all happens to them.. good and bad.. it is all there! And even into the prophets.. He promised a Messiah and He has sent one!


I realized that I can personalize that verse...


Not one of all the Lord's good promises to Barbara failed... every one was fulfilled.


Every promise He has given, is giving and will give to me will come about.. never fail!  


So where do I find the promises... in His writings to me.. His Holy Word.. there is promise after promise found in Scriptures from having our needs supplied, being given strength, never being alone, salvation, protection, love and on and on... 


I am going to be sharing some of these promises on this blog in the days ahead.. So be watching for them. And in the meantime, open the Word and find some for yourself!  They are there.. not hidden at all.. just ask the Holy Spirit to open your eyes to see the Wonderful Promise He has for you today!



No comments: