Thursday, January 12, 2012

Desires....

I have several devotional books I am reading in this year... I am not legalistic, in that I don't read every book every day.  One is Daily Light on the Daily Path.  There are morning and evening readings taken straight from Scripture... wonderful book!  I have this on my Kindle and it uses a different Bible version than ones I normally read.  It uses God's Word Version. I have never read this version and confess I am watching carefully for any red flags.  I love reading different translations / transliterations, but seek to discern those that take the truth and twist it. So far, this one has been sound.


I was recently intrigued by the wording used for a specific passage of Scripture... Phil 2:12-13.  


The NIV says:  "Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to His good purpose."


In the Devotional, God's Word Version, it says : "My dear friends, you have always obeyed, not only when I was with you but even more now that I’m absent. In the same way continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling. It is God who produces in you the desires and actions that please Him."


The part that stopped me was the last line.. "It is God who produces in you the desires and actions that please Him."


There is something about the thought of God producing the desires and actions in me that makes me stop and think. Certainly that is only when I am fully yielded to Him, because I know there are desires and actions in me at times which in no way please Him and are not from Him.  They are my sinful flesh's produce -- rotten fruit as it were -- where as the Lord wants to produce good fruit in me through His Holy Spirit.


Lord, help me to be fully and completely yielded to You today.  I choose that -- less of me, more of You!  May I produce good fruit that pleases You -- benefits me -- blesses others -- brings You and You alone glory.  Amen!

No comments: