Tuesday, January 31, 2012

"So Long...."

Ex 32:1 "when the people saw that Moses was so long in coming down from the mountain...."

Moses took longer than the people wanted... they grew impatient.. began to "suppose"... to let their minds wander here and there right into a golden calf and idolatry.

Don't I do the same? God takes "so long"... too long for me... I want Him to act, but nothing (actually He very likely is acting, but not in the manner I expect or want.. so I see it as inactivity).  My mind then starts to have a hey day of what ifs and I decide to help move things along.. I usually am able to even convince myself that this is what God wanted all along.. my help.

I may not create a golden calf as the Israelites did, but I create my own idol... the idol of self.. I set myself, my thoughts, my ideas, my abilities etc. up as "god".. I idolize me!

And in doing this I find that I am like Peter... my eyes were on Jesus, but then I got distracted by the water and waves (life) and now I am sinking in the water even if I don't realize it.  I must FIX my eyes on Jesus.. FIX, not glance His way.

I looked Fix up in the dictionary and found these definitions... to make firm, stable or stationary... affix... attach.. to hold or direct steadily... to capture the attention of.. establish.. to make an accurate determination of... to get ready.. focus.. decide.. settle.. fasten

I want to do all of that!  To make my focus Jesus... to have a firm grasp on Him.. to be stable and stationary in where I place my trust... to affix myself, attach me to Him.. to hold steadily to His Word.. to capture His attention.. to make an accurate determination by seeing HIM (Imperishable Truth) and not my circumstances (which are fleeting).. to get ready for whatever comes my way by fastening my eyes on Jesus!

Lord, may You be my vision today... the focus on my eyes and my life!

No comments: