Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Scripture Memory

Most folks run at the mention of memorizing Scripture... that is, after all, something for kids in Sunday School, right? No.. not at all!  We are never too young or too old to learn Scripture. Yes, as we age it might take us longer to learn a verse or passage, but we are still able to learn.  One of the things I have come to realize through memorizing Scriptures is that the process of learning the verse is as beneficial as the learning of it.  By reading the verse over and over... taking it apart... I find myself meditating on it.. thinking about the words and what they mean to my life.  I often don't just memorize the verse,  God writes it on my heart.

I recently started reading a wonderful book by Robert J. Morgan (one of my favorite authors).  100 Bible Verses Everyone Should Know By Heart.  I am posting the verses on the side bar here as I learn them.  (The other Scripture memory there are the verses our church learns together each week.) Some are old favorites / standards, so it is more review than learn.  I admit that I purchased the book mainly out of curiosity. I wondered what verses he thought were important to know.  And while I did find his list, I found much more. The first half of the book talks about Scripture Memorization.. the benefits, how-to etc.  And for each of the verses, he provides a bit of study, something to help glue the verse to your brain and heart.  Again, going for something other than rote memorization.  I highly recommend this book. I feel certain I will share things from it in the weeks ahead.

In the meantime, dive in and start learning Scripture... Ps. 119:11 says "Thy Word have I hidden in my heart that I might now sin against Thee."  Want to sin less and live the holy life has called you to live? Learn Scripture!  It is also how we are ready in and out of season... how we consider it pure joy when we face trials of many kinds.. where we find the words to say to a hurting friend... and so much more.  Think of it this way.. Jesus is THE WORD.. so when you spend time learning the Word, you are learning about (and with) Jesus.  And when you hide the Word in your heart, you are in a way putting Jesus there. Yes, as a believer the Holy Spirit already indwells you being, but this is progressive sanctification... becoming more like Jesus every day.

No comments: