Wednesday, January 30, 2008

All Scripture.....

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking,
correcting and training in righteousness -- 2 Timothy 3:16

Recently my son was sharing some verses that had really spoken to his heart and he had decided to memorize them. He quoted several pieces of scripture that I am very familiar with... verses that most believers know... and then he quote Judges 5:8 "When they chose new gods, war came to the city gates, and not a shield or spear was seen among forty thousand in Israel."

I thought to myself, "That's an odd verse to learn" and then I asked him, "How does that apply to you today." I really thought he wouldn't have an answer to my question and then I could follow up with "Then why are you learning that verse. Surely there are more useful verses you could learn?" But no.. he had an answer. When we make something else our god or let something take the place of God in our lives, our life will be like a war. And as he explained that, God gently whispered 2 Timothy 3:16 to me... ALL SCRIPTURE is USEFUL!

How could I have forgotten that? Yes, there are verses that seem obscure and irrelevant to our lives today, but the Word tells us that isn't so. Every single bit of scripture.. every promise, precept, list, command, historical fact, prophecy, praise, woe, etc. is useful to us.. and it is all for us. We are to read it all... study it all... believe it all!

And I also realized that what might not speak to me at this time can speak to someone else. We are all at different points on our journey and all have different needs. God is a personal god... He speaks to us as we need it.... He reveals what we need to see in Scripture as we need it.

2 Timothy 3:16 is a great verse to memorize so that you won't be like me and forget that God wrote every bit of the Bible and every bit of it is useful!

No comments: