Sunday, January 20, 2008

He will rejoice over you....

"The Lord your God is with you. He is mighty to save. He will take delight in you. He will quiet you with His love. And He will rejoice over you with singing." Zeph. 3:17

This is one of my favorite Mot verses. Mot is a lovely woman God placed into my life many years ago to encourage and challenge me. She loves the Word and has hidden a great deal of it in her heart. Mot verses come in 2 forms... those she tells you to learn (Ok, now write this one down and learn it!)... and those she just seems to use over and over. Zeph. 3:17 fits both categories.

There is a wonderful song based on this verse on the Glory Revealed CD. I sing it often!

So the other night while watching the video during Ladies Bible Study at church, I grinned with delight as Beth Moore quoted this wonderful verse.. in fact, I said it right along with her. But then she helped us visualize the last part... He will rejoice over you with singing... she helped us picture God the Father leaning over us tenderly and singing to us.... love filling every note.

I have no doubt there are some who struggle to imagine what this would be like, but in that moment I was moved to my core. You see, my earthly father did that many times. My dad had a wonderful voice and he loved to whistle and to sing. I remember him coming in to kiss me good night and sometimes he would lie down besides me and sing to me. Daddy didn't know kiddie songs, so he sang hymns and country music. It didn't matter one bit to me what he sang, just as long as I could curl up next to him and listen to the love pouring forth from every note.

After Bible study last Tuesday night I thanked the Lord for a dad who did that... what a wonderful illustration I had of Zeph. 3:17... it wasn't difficult for me to imagine God singing over me at all.

Even if you never had a parent sing over you, you have probably seen someone do that. A mom or dad will cuddle a child and sing softly to them... that is what God does. He draws close to you and sings over you... loving you with every note... rejoicing over you with singing... all you need to do is be still and quiet and listen....

No comments: