Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Gentle Reminders....

For several weeks now, I have been bombarded with the need to walk in the Spirit not in the flesh. It pops up in books I read, sermons, Bible studies, devotions and more. So this morning I wasn't surprised when I opened the devotional I am reading and saw this verse pops up... Gal. 5:25 we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit

I was thinking the other day, well I must be doing awful since God keeps reminding me.. but then I decided, no He is just encouraging me.. exhorting me... helping me to keep on walking in the Spirit. Sort of like when I say to my kids "I know you already know this, but I have to say it anyway....." It isn't that they are doing anything wrong, I just need to remind them because I know they might get distracted or in a situation where they forget.

For example, last week was D-Now for our church. D-Now is basically a youth retreat weekend and the kids stay in other people's homes for 2 nights. I was talking to my son before D-Now about picking up after himself and being respectful of the home he was staying in... even reminding him that this was a young couple with young children... not use to teenage boys staying up and being noisy all night long. Now I know he would not purposely leave a mess or be loud and noisy, he is a very respectful kid... and really so are most of the kids that were staying there... but there were 13 boys in that house and I knew it would be so easy for them all to forget their manners. So I had to remind him. I

think that is what God is doing with me. He knows what is coming in my life.. things I don't know... and He knows there is the potential for me to not walk in the Spirit and so He is keeping this before me as a reminder... to help me follow through.

No comments: