Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Psalm 16 & 17

from August 29, 2008

I love Psalm 16. It is an upbeat Psalm with some wonderful proclamations --

verse 2 I said to the Lord, "You are My Lord; apart from You I have no good thing."

verse 8 I have set the Lord always before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.

verse 11 You have made known to me the path of life; You will fill me with joy in Your presence, with eternal pleasures at Your right hand.

Psalm 17 is a prayer - I find it interesting that in verses 1 - 3 David tells God that he is clean .. without sin. I will never be able to say that this side of heaven. No one can or will. So these verses confuse me a bit. Is David truly clean at that time or does he just feel he is because there is no "big" sin in his life? Something to ponder....

I love how he asks "Show the wonder of Your great love" ... "Keep me as the apple of Your eye; hide me in the shadow of Your wings." (v. 7 & 8)... very descriptive, specific wording in those requests.

I also noticed our enemy the Lion shows up in this Psalm - verse 12 "They are like a lion hungry for prey, life a great lion crouching in cover." Isn't satan like that? Crouching... hiding... waiting to pounce.

David ends his prayer with the assurance of the Lord's provisions and presence.... an assurance each of us has.

No comments: