Friday, September 26, 2008

Psalm 23... The Shepherd's Psalm

from Sept. 15, 2008

Psalm 23 is a beautiful Psalm, but as one who grew up in church I find I read it without really taking it in. It is so familiar - I memorized it as a child and still say it in the King James Version no matter what version I am reading.

Oh, Lord, make the familiar fresh and new. You promise that all Scripture is important - useful. Help me to see the familiar with fresh eyes - newness so as not to gloss over it and miss all that is there.

Jesus is often referred to as a shepherd and we are His sheep. We even read how He would leave the 99 to go find the 1 lost lamb. Psalm 23 is a picture of our Shepherd and of us under His care.

A shepherd takes care of His sheep. He sees to ALL their needs - He protects and guides - verse 1 tells us that we have all we need in Jesus, our Shepherd.

Verses 2 & 3 tell us about our journey with Jesus -- green pastures not wilderness - green pastures are the abundant life of John 10:10.. that abundant full life Jesus came to give us... and Quiet Waters instead of a raging storm! Jesus gives us peace!

When I feel as if my life is barren and dry to that things are out of control and chaotic, I only need to turn to Jesus to find peace, rest, renewal -- I need only be still and rest in Him for "He restores my soul."

He will never lead me down the wrong path -- no, He leads me "in paths of righteousness" (v. 3). So if I find myself on the wrong path, then I can know I've strayed and if I just stop running, my shepherd will find me. Remember, He leaves the 99 to find the 1 lost lamb. He doesn't loose His sheep... but they do occasionally wander away.

Verse 4 "Even though" means I will -- this isn't a verse about something that might happen. I will walk through the valley of the shadow of death - there will be dark and difficult times in my life, BUT I have no need to fear - Jesus is with me. For there to be a shadow, there has to be light! And Jesus tells us He is the Light. I only experience a shadow in the valley, not complete darkness.

Jesus never hides out relationship - He makes it known that I am His and that He loves me -- He lavished me with His love, grace, mercy, Spirit (v. 5 & 6).

And I know without a doubt that I will live with Him forever!

No comments: