Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Worship or Whine?

from Sept. 2, 2008

I took a slight detour from my walk in the Psalms today. I was working on some Bible study homework and as part of it I read Job 1. I am not a big fan of the book of Job... it confuses me at times and so much of it seems depressing to me. Although I do love the later chapters when God answers and tells Job WHO He is.. awesome chapters!

Today though, something clicked for me as I read. Something I had never really thought of even though I have read this passage many times before.

Life is going on as normal and then in verse 14 the Sabeans attacked.. verse 16 says while he (the messenger) was still speaking another came to announce that the Chaldeans had raided... and in verse 19 while the 2nd messenger was speaking another one came to announce the destruction from a mighty wind.

How often in my life does it seem that "bad" stuff comes all at once.. not just 1 thing... usually several. Job has that very thing happen... it would have been so easy for him to just throw up his hands and say "That's it... I've had it... what more can go wrong." But instead, we read that he chose to worship God.

What do I choose to do when things pile up on me? Do I worship or do I whine? Or do I just deal with my stuff in my own strength doing what has to be done but not letting God work through me... not being a willing vessel? Often during these times I find myself "too busy" for God... no time to read my Bible... barely time for quick rushed prayers which are usually offered on the move.

I get through, but at what price? What blessings do I miss when I don't worship in the midst of it all?

No comments: