Monday, October 13, 2008

Psalm 31

written Oct. 6, 2008

Ps 31 is a cry for help... but a calm one... not a panicked prayer. I believe it is an example of what we are to do when we are in distress and feeling attacked. Throughout the Psalm David proclaims his trust in the Lord. He very confidently states what God has done and will do in his life. He does list his trouble,m but again there is no sense of panic here, but one of calm resolve and confidence in his Lord. In a way it is like he is reminding himself where his hope and confidence lie. I've done that too ... said the words even when my circumstances cause me to feel differently. Sometimes that is what it takes - a choice -- a determination to trust in WHO God is and WHAT He does no matter how we feel or what we see happening around us.

v. 1 In You, O Lord, I take my refuge

v. 3 You are my Rock and my Fortress

v. 5 Into Your hands I commit my spirit redeem me, O Lord, the God of truth.

v. 14 I trust in You, O Lord.

v. 15 My times are in Your hands.

v. 24 Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.

No comments: