Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Psalm 32

written October 7, 2008

The first five verses of Psalm 32 deal with confessing our sins. David reminds us that we are blessed because our sins are forgiven, they don't count against us (v. 1-2). Then verses 3 & 4 paint a picture of one who "hides" their sin, refuses to confess it... acknowledge it before the Lord... "my bones wasted away"... "groaning all day long"... "my strength was sapped." Surely unconfessed sin creates a wall between us and God -- it effects us spiritually, mentally, emotionally and this Psalm makes it clear that it effects us physically too. No doubt God allows this because He wants us to acknowledge our sin so we can have the blessing of forgiveness.

Verse 5 shows how quickly and easily we can have that blessing... "Then I acknowledged my sin to You and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the Lord' and You forgave the guilt of my sin." It really is that simple! 1 John 1:9m says "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." Psalm 32:5 is a picture of that promise in action.

Verse 7 is one of my favorites:

You are my hiding place. You will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.

I love how God goes beyond for us. We see this over and over in the Word and verse 7 is a going beyond verse. God hides us when there is trouble and He protects us -- that in and of itself is more than we deserve but then we see that He "surrounds us with songs of deliverance." God confronts us by singing over us like a parent comforts a small child. I love the picture this verse creates in my mind of me being tucked up under God's wings -- safe, secure, close to Him and He is quietly singing words of peace and comfort to keep be calm and feeling secure.

Today, if you are feeling boxed in... pressed on all sides... stressed... worried... any and all of these worldly woes, follow Col. 3:2's exhortation and Look up! Set your mind on things above and You will experience Psalm 32:7 first hand. Keep your ears open and listen to the Father's perfect voice as He sings over you.

No comments: