Thursday, October 23, 2008

Psalms 36 & 37

Written Oct. 16, 2008

I immediately start singing when I think of Psalm 36. Verses 5 & 6 are part of a Third Day song I love….

“Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens, Your faithfulness to the skies. Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains, Your justice like the great deep.”

I love when I find a song in scripture! I love that writers do that… use scripture in songs. What better words to sing then those written by our Lord!

Psalm 37 has a number of verses in it that God has used in my life over the years.

V. 4 is one that a dear sweet elderly lady in my life shares a great deal… “Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.”

That does mean… Love God, enjoy Him and you will get everything you want. To delight in the Lord, we spend time with Him in His Word and through prayer. The desires of our heart will line up with His will and will be of more importance than things.

Right now some of the desires of my heart are to know Him more… to be filled with His love to overflowing… to be acutely aware of sin in my life so that I can confess it quickly.. to love the Lord with all my heart, soul, mind and might.

I also have desires for my husband and children .. the main on being that they love the Lord with all their heart, soul, mind and might. (That is the best thing to pray for anyone!)

God has shown me (and continues to show me) the really important desires… the ones that last.

Ps. 37:5 is the verse God gave me when I first decided to Homeschool and was unsure of my ability to do so… “Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will do this.”

Now the “this” in verse 5 refers to verse 6 which says “He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.”

But I believe when God led me to verse 5 as I prayed “How can I do this Lord.” He was answering me and I’ve seen Him do just what He promised.

Verse 7 is something God often calls me (all of us) to do and it isn’t easy not fun… “Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him.”

When I’ve felt envious of others wealth and stuff, v. 16 he reminded me.. “Better the little that the righteous have than the wealth of many wicked.”

This is not to say all wealthy folks are wicked. It reminds me I have riches greater than the wealth here on earth.

No comments: